Monday, July 11, 2016

Hotel familiale

La Chapelle d'Abondance, July 2, 2016— 

I write this an eventful week later, and find I have no recollection of the meal except that we had guinea hen, one of my favorites. This is really unfortunate, as the cooking here, like everything else about the place, is very good; the hotel as a whole is memorable.
 I give you as example this photo of the sitting room: quiet, sunny (south-facing), comfortable, old-fashioned. Or the view out our bedroom window,
Looking north up the road leading toward the Chalets de Bise.

As I think I said previously, Madame works the reception, tends bar,  and waits on table: Monsieur is the capable cook. When we checked out I asked Madame about the place. It is indeed on the site of an old watermill; the miillrace and some of the equipment is still visible. 

The place has been in Monsieur's family for three hundred years, and has been a hotel much of that time. It is small, quiet, modest, and very good.  I'd like to return in twenty years to see what the son, who's helping all round, will do with it…

Chalet Hotel Le Vieux Moulin, 74360 La Chapelle d'Abondance, +33 (0)4 50 73 52 52 
Chalet Hotel Le Vieux Moulin

No comments: