Sunday, June 3, 2012

Sunday salmon

Salmon.jpg
Eastside Road, June 3, 2012—
YOU KNOW THE DRILL: Salmon every Sunday. We get it from Dave the fish guy, who gets it from the cold blue Pacific. We didn't see him today; he was out fishing. But his son, I think it was, judging by the similarity of expressions and gestures, sold us a nice piece of fish.

Lindsey broiled it simply, with salt and pepper, and buttered a mess of Nancy Skall's favas. For salad I picked lettuce and some puntarelle from the garden. I peeled the leaves from the stems, but next time I think I'll leave them on, choosing only the smallest leaves. Anchovies, green garlic from the garden, salt, oil, and our own Zinfandel vinegar made the dressing, and there was nothing to complain about there.

Basque.jpg
Then for dessert, this fine little Gateau Basque, bought (like the salmon) at the Sebastopol farm market this morning, from a pâtissière who I think does a marvelous job of creating truly French dessert pastries (and a few breakfast pastries). Her business is called Pâtisserie Angelica, and you can get her stuff online, and you should maybe give them a try.
Rosé, Guilhem (Pays d'Hérault), 2011

No comments: