Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sardines

Eastside Road, February 16, 2011—
SOMEWHERE IN A BOOK I just read, Kim Severson's Spoon Fed, the lowly sardine comes in for some praise. We have quite a stash of canned sardines in the outboard pantry, as I think of the commodity-trap otherwise known as the mud room, but we don't think of them often enough. One should eat canned sardines once a week, I think; it's good for the health, it's good for the purse.

Especially when you have good country levain to make a sandwich with. I'd like a light spread of butter on that bread along with the sardines, but that's not the way L. does it, and who am I to complain? She does slice the onions nice and thin, and finds crisp lettuce to put in too. A little more broccoli before, another green salad after, and you've got yourself a supper.
cheap red

2 comments:

Jonny Hamachi said...

Welcome to the Society.

Charles Shere said...

That would be the Society for the Appreciation of the Lowly Tinned Sardine, which you can find here. I hadn't known about it before; I'm honored to be included.