Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day Brunch

Eastside Road, Healdsburg, June 20, 2010—

WE DON'T OFTEN EAT "brunch," as I've noted here before. But Father's Day comes only once a year, and this year our friends Claire and Kendall, whom we see too rarely these days, suggested they drive up and treat us. So I called another friend for a suggestion, and when she mentioned Charlie's Grill it seemed a natural  though only two people in the world ever call me "Charlie." So off we drove to the golf club, where we discovered not only was it "brunch," it was "buffet," that other dining format I mistrust.

But it was okay. I chose eggs Benedict, a couple of strips of bacon, some "breakfast potatoes," a biscuit; and, afterward, a little piece of gummy pecan pie. We sat out on the terrace on a soft midday, watching blue jays picking up crumbs and golfers picking up Mulligans. As the Gronings say, het komm minder.

Orange juice; coffee

• Charlie's Grill, 1340 19th Hole Drive, Windsor, CA; tel. 707.838.8802; www.windsorgolf.com/charlies.html

1 comment:

Curtis Faville said...

Buffets are usually where food goes to die, but I can think of one magnificent exception. When we were in Venice, we motored over tp the The Cipriani on the prow end of the Giudecca, where we had lunch at a buffet under the big awning facing the swimming pool. I promised myself that afternoon to one day stay at least one night at that establishment. The food was miraculous, if perhaps a bit too perfect looking. And there was hardly anyone there.