Friday, March 13, 2009

Grilled tuna sandwich

Eastside Road, Healdsburg, March 13, 2009

TUNA, BREAD, pickle relish, a little marjoram, and — Lemonaise?

Well, I'll be damned. I knew there was something different about tonight's grilled tuna sandwich. There was an elusive, gee, no, well maybe… and of course I'd just finished reading Ruth Reichl's Garlic and Sapphires (very funny, by the way, and very revealing too). My mind was primed for elusive what's-its among the savories.

Anyhow: delicious. Before the sandwich, Lindsey's succotash, which combines soybeans and corn, both frozen. You can see we've been eating out of the freezer and off the pantry shelves. The tuna's Ortiz brand Bonito, about as good as it gets. And Lindsey "grilled" the sandwiches using a trick we learned last year, I think: heat two black-iron skillets, one a little smaller than the other; grill the sandwich in a few drops of olive oil in the big one, putting the hot smaller one on top to weight the sandwich down. Did I mention green salad?
Sauvignon blanc, Louis Preston, 2007

No comments: